We aren't here anymore...

I'm so glad you found us!

As of June 15th 2010 we will be live at our new site!

Visit us for all the latest at
Small Things are Big Things!





Thursday, September 17, 2009

Shirr Madness!

I was first introduced to 'shirring' by According to Kelly at the OC Bloggers Ball.
Then I saw all the potential shirring greatness on made.
I gave it a try.
I made one of my old Hurley Shirts into a dress for Cora. (FYI - Hurley doesn't make very cute little girl stuff... and this is coming from a Hurley Family!!)
Shirring in a nutshell is using elastic thread in your bobbin to make the fabric scrunch-up (bodice) or ruffle (shoulder straps).
Two tutorials I found to be the most helpful were this one from Portabellopixie and this one from Pretty Ditty.

I pieced together some of the screen printed patterns I had to cut off into an awesome applique for the skirt of the dress.

As always, there are tons of ways to re-purpose old clothes into little girl outfits (I mean, really, you can add a ruffle, bow or flower to anything and it looks cute on a little girl!). Since I'm partial to the little guys (I did start a business for boys), I'll be posting tutorials on how to re-purpose stuff for boys. Starting next week with the gem below!!

Don't forget to enter all our current Birthday Bash giveaways......vintage inspired baby or toddler tee from Karen Eileen Designs here!! Ends 9/26
... a photo session with Monkey Moon Photography here. (Southern California folks or people willing to come to OC for the shoot only please) Ends tomorrow!!
... a Kids' Keepsake Journal here. Ends 9/21
... custom hand hand stamped initial necklace from Kristen's Custom Creations here! Ends 9/22
See the full list of giveaways coming the next 2 months here!

4 comments:

Nicole A. said...

So cute!! I love it! I can't sew a button, I so need to learn!

dana said...

cute CUTE!

Suz Broughton said...

I can only look at this with total wonder. I wouldn't ever be able to do it, but it looks great!

Tammy said...

Can't WAIT for the tutorial!! That dress is SO cute! It's totally ture about girl stuff...that's why I'm always on the hunt for cool boy stuff!! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails