We aren't here anymore...

I'm so glad you found us!

As of June 15th 2010 we will be live at our new site!

Visit us for all the latest at
Small Things are Big Things!





Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Crafts Part 3: Wooden Nativities

These simple nativities were our party favors at out little shin dig. Print this for the pattern and paint colors. You can make this any size (my mom did huge ones one year and they were fabulous) and you can make them out of wood or cardboard... I even thought it would be fun to do it with felt... let the creative juices flow!
My mom (Suzie Says) cut the wood for my nativities on her scroll saw and this post will show you how to do the rest.

Eli helped "organize" them as I painted the main color on the bodies.
Then I painted circles for the faces, and the other embellishments (shown on the pattern), the stable and the stars. Use a fine tip sharpie to add in all the details. Outline the face, in between the colors, and the facial features. Remember that this is vintage kinda folk art so things don't have to be (and shouldn't be) perfect.
Next, I use a speckle tool (yes, there is such thing as a speckle tool) but you can use a tooth brush. Water down some black paint (just a tiny bit of water!) practice first on a white piece of paper then speckle till the cows come home. This really adds a cute vintage element to the finished piece.

Lay them close together for the speckling so it will be nice and even... oh and you're only speckling the front. (I like the word speckle!) Speckle to your hearts content! Have a wet paper towel close by because inevitably you will get a giant splash on Jesus' face... and well, we just can't have that, can we? Oh and this is messy... I kept speckling myself. The last step is the finishing coat. I used a spray gloss. This will seal the paint and give the colors a deeper richer shade. If you don't do gloss the paint will become chalky and can rub off on other wood pieces. Do the back first and lay them farther apart so you can start to get the sides. It has to dry for an hour. Then flip them over and lay them much farther apart so you can get all the sides... spray the heck out of it! It takes an hour to dry to the touch and then a full 24 hours to fully dry.
I wrapped them in a small celo bag and then tied it with raffia. I think it added to the folky look. They were a huge hit, and I can't wait to give the others to neighbors and friends as Christmas comes closer!

5 comments:

Nissa said...

Those are sooo precious! I was thinking 'Oh, I'd have to skip the speckling- way too messy..' but as I see the finished product, it really does add to the charm.

rachael said...

Loved the handmade favors! Thank you!

Melanie said...

that is adorable!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Those are so stinking cute!! I've been scrolling through your recent posts to see who you are and what your blog is about-- LOVE the French Garden House photos! that's how I wish my brain would work (but it doesn't, I just oooh and ahhh at other people's abilities to find cool things for their houses), and I wish I had seen your post about the beaded socks a long time ago! Thanks for coming by my place earlier and Happy Holidays!

LearnHowToMakeBows said...

Thanks for the tutorial...this is super cute! I need to try speckling sometimes...it really makes a neat effect on the paint!!

Thanks so much for sharing!
Merry Christmas!!
Jenn
glass-block-crafts.weebly.com (free Christmas crafts ebook "Christmas Decorating Made Easy")

Related Posts with Thumbnails